Week#23: Croissant & Coffee & More


Karaköy is one of the liveliest, however a bit hidden neighbourhoods. A few years ago, this old port neighbourhood was rather empty, but as days pass by, more and more new bars, restaurants and coffee shops are opening there. It is also one of my favourite breakfast destinations in town. In my #52breakfasts project, I have already written about some of the breakfast places in Karaköy, each one of them special in their own way.... (You can check them here and here.)

....and here comes another one: Karabatak. The name might sound a bit strange, but the birds on their sugar bags will indicate that it actually has a meaning. It means a cormorant (yes, you can thank me for teaching you another not really useful word in Turkish). More then the meaning of its name, I have always been asking myself, why on all of the tables there is the "reserved" sign as it is clearly empty inside. It is difficult to get a table outside, especially when the weather is warm, but inside you will almost always find a free spot.



When it comes to breakfast, the price seems a bit high, but let me tell you a secret: coffee comes with breakfast and it's included in the price! Finally a place for all the coffee addicts. And besides the coffee, you get also orange juice. And croissant. And cheese. The amount it actually too much for one person (I have tried it!), so I do suggest you share your breakfast with someone.

Adress: Kemankeş Karamustafa Paşa Mahallesi, Kara Ali Kaptan Sok. No:7, 34425 Beyoğlu/İstanbul

Labels: , , , , , , ,